Please run in groups, especially in the area of the bridge going over the Umgeni River near Hyper.
1. Comrades runners: please remember to update your qualifying details on their website, we note that many members have not done this yet!
2.For security reasons, membership cards need to be shown at the club gate when leaving in future:
- 2016 members – please keep your cards
- If you have lost it, please inform us
- If you have never collected from us, please come and collect
- New (2017) members – we will arrange for you to get cards shortly
3. We run / walk Tues, Wed, Thur 17h30 ( run / walkers leave 17h20).
4. Dates to remember:
- Every Friday, 05h15, Red Sock Friday 3, 5, 8 km run / walk, Durban Country Club beach ;https://www.facebook.com/groups/iwearredsocksonfridaysDurban/
- Wed 5 Apr: monthly braai
- Wed 12 Apr – changed to 5 April : Easter Fool time trial – Easter theme
- Wed 3 May : 18h15, Two Oceans awards function (all Two Oceans runners try and attend)
- Wed 3 May : monthly braai
- Wed 10 May : Sani Stagger entries open – note earlier than previous years! (09h00) – diarise the date!
- Wed 24 May : Pre-Comrades evening – we wish all our runners well – details to follow…
- Sun 4 June : Comrades! Join us at our normal supporters spot just past Kearsney college
5. Club runs :
a. There will always be shorter (10 – 15 km) options as well;
b. Equally, those who want to run longer, can arrange to start a bit earlier and do a few km’s before club run;
c. Use Saturday club runs in conjunction with Sunday races, to get good back to back training!
d. The Intermediate group will do training run / walks on certain Saturdays, this will be communicated via Facebook.
- Sat 1 Apr : 05h30 – 35 km
- Sat 8 Apr : 05h00 – 32 km – Dean Wight (Beloved Long Run, from our club) – Dean will call the route and provide refreshment tables on the route
- An optional fee (R20) is paid for water / Coke on the route
- All Comrades and two Oceans members welcome to take part
- There will still be the normal (shorter) club run at 05h30
- Sat 15 Apr : 05h30 – 30 km
- Sat 22 Apr : 05h30- 30 km
- Sat 29 Apr : 05h30 – 35 km
- Sat 6 May : 05h30 – 35 km
- Sat 13 May : 05h30 – 35 km
- Sat 20 May : 05h30 – 25 km
- Sat 27 May : 06h00 – 15 km
- Sat 3 June : 06h00 – 15 km
4. 2017 races (full details in Fixtures list and Eventtiming website) – check which races are strict pre-entry!:
- 6at 1 April : Bergville 21 / 52 km
- Sun 2 Apr : Checkout 10 / 21 , Kingspark
- Electronic race flyer available upon request
- Sun 9 Apr : Durban City 10 / 21 / 42 km
- 3rd leg of 10 x 10 km Challenge
- Electronic race flyer available upon request
- Sun 16 Apr : Dick King 15 km walk / 21 km run
- Fri 21 -Sun 23 April : Zini Bush Challenge
- Sat 22 Apr : Mondi 10 / 21 km – Richards bay
- Sun 23 Apr : Chatsworth 10 / 25 / 52 km
- Sun 30 Apr : Fieldshill 10 km, Lahee Park, Pinetown
- Mon 1 May : Hibiscus 10 / 25 / 50 km
- Sun 7 May : Deloittes 10 / 21 / 42 km:
- Online entries: https://secure.onreg.com/onreg2/front/step1.php?id=3572
- Sun 14 May : Woodview Starling Plumbers 10 / 21 km
- 4th leg of the 10 x 10 km Challenge
- Sun 4 June : Comrades
- Sun 11 June : Ladies Spar 5 / 10 km
7. Mail received:
Media Release: 2017 Bonitas Comrades Novice Seminar in the Mother City (Wed, 22.3.2017)
As nearly 6000 Comrades novice runners gear up for the 2017 Comrades Marathon on Sunday, 4 June, the Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) in association with Bonitas Medical Fund, hosts its first novice seminar in Cape Town this Wednesday (22 March 2017 at 19h00).
Bonitas is with you in the long run and is committed to empowering novice runners for peak performance on race day. The 2017 leg of the Bonitas Comrades Novice Seminars are designed to achieve just that.
At the seminars, runners can expect to interact with the Comrades Coach, Lindsey Parry and other experts, including a medical doctor and dietician. Among the topics to be covered are:
· injury prevention
· treatment of injuries
· running shoes
· race day strategies
The medical doctor will advise on the dangers of taking medication whilst running. The dietician will cover runners’ nutrition, including what to eat and drink while training as well as race day sustenance.
Registered Dietician, Nicki de Villiers works with athletes and guides them to optimum nutrition to train well and achieve their running goals. Nicki has been working in the field of dietetics for around 20 years and has been concentrating on sports nutrition for the last 12 years.
Official Comrades Coach, Lindsey Parry will share valuable information regarding training, injury prevention and treatment; recovery; reasons for failure and how to prevent them; tapering and race day strategies.
These seminars are interactive and highly informative. Entry is free and bookings are not necessary. Zinikele – It takes all of you!
BONITAS COMRADES MARATHON NOVICE SEMINARS.
|DATE||TIME||CITY||HOST VENUE||PHYSICAL ADDRESS|
|WED 22 MARCH
|19:00||CAPE TOWN||K-WAY VOB ATHLETICS||Constantia Bowls Club, Main Road, Constantia , Cape Town|
|TUES 28 MARCH 2017||19:00||JOHANNESBURG||SUNNINGHILL STRIDERS||The Auditorium, Eskom Megawatt Park, No 1 Maxwell Drive Sunninghill Sandton|
|WED 29 MARCH 2017||19:00||JOHANNESBURG||BENONI NORTHERNS||Benoni Northerns Sports Club, 1 Brodigan Street, Rynfield, Benoni|
|TUES 04 APRIL 2017||19:00||PRETORIA||IRENE ATHLETICS CLUB||The Auditorium, Agricultural Research Council, Irene Campus, Olifantsfontein Road, Irene, Pretoria|
|THUR 06 APRIL 2017||19:00||DURBAN||SAVAGES ATHLETICS CLUB||132 Hollander Crescent, Morningside, Durban.|
For more information, please email CMA Marketing Coordinator, Nonkululeko Mdlalose:email@example.com
Statement issued by the Comrades Marathon Association’s Media Officer, Delaine Cools on Monday, 20 March 2017
For an interview, please call:
CMA Marketing Manager, Thami Vilakazi on 071 584 4510
For more information, please call Delaine on 083 949 2837