Unfortunately, we had a few incidents recently, where some of our members were taking part in races, and their cars were broken into (eg Totalsports Ladies run, Supa Mama Savages, Forest Hills) – so we suggest you don’t take any valuables to races, that could be stolen from your cars.
- It is dark out there – please wear reflective shirts, belts, lights, caps etc- be visible!
- We run / walk every Tues / Wed / Thur at 17h30 – without fail ! Always safety in numbers, especially during the winter months where we often have to run in the dark – we often regroup, and cater for those who want to run a bit shorter, so don’t be scared to join us.
- Please give us feedback about races you have done – when, where time, interesting stories etc – we gladly hear from you.
- We invite members to send in nominations for Member of the Month, so keep your eyes and ears open and send your nominations, before month end!
- Some other dates:
- Every Friday : 05h15, Bike & Bean (beachfront) – Red Socks 5 and 8 km run / walk, followed by coffee, everybody welcome!
- Thur 1 Sept : Two Oceans (56 km) entries open at 10h00 – need to run a qualifying marathon between 1 July 2016 and 5 March 2017
- Thur 1 Sept : Comrades 2017 entries open! Enter now, qualify later. See below for more info.
- Wed 7 Sept: Spring Handicap TT
- Red shorts and white shirts
- Everybody run 5 km
- Scattered start, as per 2016 best 5 km times, first people (walkers) start just after 17h00
- Short prize-giving, then feel welcome to stay for monthly braai
- Wed 5 Oct : Monthly braai
- Sat 8 Oct : Beach breakfast run – details to follow…..
- Sat 29 Oct : Club 10 km run – details to follow…..
- Wed 2 Nov : Monthly braai
- Sat 19 Nov : Year end function and prize-giving – details to follow….
- Wed 6 Dec : Final braai for 2016
- Club runs. Shorter options always available – there may be changes closer to the time :
- There will always also be a 10 – 12 option as well.
- Those who want to run a bit longer, can arrange to meet a bit earlier and do a few km before the club run
- South Coast Marathon in October, training program issued– note:
- There will always be shorter options as well;
- No need to do all the long runs, but the option is there, to select the ones you want to do;
- Keep races in mind, and do back to back runs.
- Saturday 27 August: club run – 06h00 – 20 km
- Saturday 3 Sept: club run – 05h30 – 25 km
- Saturday 10 Sept :club run – 05h30 – 25 km
- Saturday 17 Sept : club run – 05h30 – 25 km
- Saturday 24 Sept : club run – 05h30 – 30 km
- Saturday 1 Oct : club run – 05h30 – 35 km
- Saturday 8 Oct : club run – 05h30 – 20 km – beach breakfast run – marathon runners, we will arrange for you to start a bit earlier to get the distance
- 2016 race dates – also look at www.eventtiming.co.za – also take note most pre-entry races have strict closing dates for entries:
- Sun 28 Aug : Mandela day 10; 21; 42 km – pre-entry only
- Sun 28 Aug : Formula 1 10 & 21 km; 06h30; – moved from Sun 4 Sept. – race flyer attached
- Sun 28 Aug : SPCA trail run, Dbn SPCA, support Dale “Dougal the Dog” Johnson, enter at ROAG
- Sat 3 Sept : Mpathi Mountain race, 15 km, Dundee, 14h00
- Sun 11 Sept : SAPS Striders10 & 21 km; Kingspark; 06h30 – next leg of our 10 x 10 km Challenge – view race flyer
- Sun 25 Sept : Ethekwini Township to township 21 & 42 km; 05h30
- Sat 1 Oct: Ladysmith 21 km night race; 17h00
- Sun 2 Oct : Duke of York 16 km; Bishopstowe; 06h30
- Sun 2 Oct : Uthungulu 10 & 42 km; Richards bay; 06h00
- Sun 9 Oct : Swift 10, 21 & 42 km; Campsdrift, Pmb, 06h00
- Sun 16 Oct : Muden 10 & 25 km, Greytown, 06h30
- Sun 16 Oct : Goss & Baife South Coast 21 & 42 km; train leaves Amanzimtoti at 05h00, for 06h00 start – see update about the race below
- Sun 23 Oct :Mtubatuba 10 km, 07h00
- Sun 30 Oct : KZN 10 KM Challenge; Kingspark, 07h00
- Sun 6 Nov :Orion 10 & 21 km, Pmb, 05h00
- Sun 6 Nov :Checkout Challenge 10 & 21 km, Kingspark, 06h30
- Sun 13 Nov : Bluff Vets 15 km walk, 21 & 42 km run, 05h30 & 06h00
- Sun 13 Nov :Edendale 10 km, 07h00
- Sun 20 Nov : Queensbourgh Minehaft 15 km, 06h00
- Sat 26 Nov : Sani Stagger 21 & 42 km
- Sat 27 Nov :Hope Challenge 10 & 21 km, Curries Fountain, 06h00
- Sun 4 Dev : BMG Stainbank 15 km, Yellowwood park, 06h00
- Sun 11 Dec : Illovo Sugar 15 km Christmas Challenge, Westville, 06h00 – we wear Christmas hats and run in a group, social event
- Thur 15 Dec :Mandela Challenge 5 & 10 km, Blue lagoon, 18h15
- Sun 18 Dec : Big Hill 10 & 21 km, Ballito, 06h00
- Mail received:
The SPCA TRAIL RUN is less than 2 weeks away and I need your help. The cats set me a target of R 15 000 which is up from the R 11 000 that we collected last year ! I will be running the SPCA Trail Run (5 km) as DOUGAL (see below) with all proceeds going towards helping my fellow dog and feline friends at my local Durban & Coast SPCA . The Trail Run is on Sunday 28th August 2016 and my tail isn’t wagging as my total amount collected only sits at R 920. Please get my tail wagging again …. here’s a big WOOF for your help !
Please see the following link for more information or to make a donation : http://www.spcadbn.org.za/trailrun.asp .
You are also more than welcome to run with me .. entries at :http://www.roag.co.za/eventinfo.aspx?EventID=1824
- More mail :
Goss & Balfe Sapphire Coast Marathon
This year’s marathon and half marathon which take’s place on the 16th October will be run/walked from Hutchison Park. Unfortunately there will be NO FREE TRAIN RIDE this year due to the recent floods in Amanzimtoti that has washed our railway line away in several places.
Metro rail have informed us the repairs will take 2-3 months, however should it be repaired prior to the race we will include the free train ride to the start.
Amanzimtoti AC apologizes to all the Athletes but this is beyond our control and hopefully you will all join us once again in celebrating our 40th year of road running and race walking.
The race will take place and the 21km will go out to Illovo and back and the 42km will go out to Ilfracombe and back to Hutchison Park.
We are offering this very popular race once again and athletes will receive a medal and the first 2000 early bird entries a short sleeve Tshirt for the 21km and a long sleeve Tshirt for the 42km.
The race is a Two Oceans and Comrades qualifier.
Des van der Merwe
Amanzimtoti Athletic Club
- Comrades Mail:
MEDIA RELEASE: Launch of 2017 Comrades Marathon
The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) launched its 2017 Comrades Marathon campaign in Johannesburg today (Thursday, 18 August 2016). The event attracted the attendance of members of the media, road-running dignitaries, stakeholders, the nation’s top runners, sporting personalities and 2016 Comrades Marathon champions David Gatebe and Charne Bosman.
CMA General Manager, Chris Fisher unveiled the 2017 campaign saying, ‘Last year’s campaign ‘Izokuthoba – It Will Humble You’ was a great success. This year we wanted to come up with a campaign that described the inclusive nature of the biggest and oldest ultra-marathon in the world.’
Fisher adds, ‘A very definitive feature of our race is that it takes not only the commitment and dedication of thousands of people to stage the race, it also demands an enormous amount of discipline and determination from our runners. We debated long and hard and eventually came up with a phrase with a double meaning: ‘It Takes All of You – Zinikele’.’
The 92nd Comrades Marathon will be an up-run on Sunday, 4 June 2017. The race starts at the Durban City Hall at 05h30 and ends 12 hours later at the Scottsville Race Course in Pietermaritzburg, covering a distance of approximately 90km.
The opening date for entries is 1 September 2016. The entry period closes on 30 November 2016 or as soon as the entry cap of 20,000 has been reached. Prospective entrants are encouraged to get their entries in early to avoid disappointment.
Entry fees for the 2017 Comrades Marathon are as follows:
- Local Entries : R 460.00
- Rest of Africa : R 770.00
- International : R2650.00
South African runners will be eligible for the ‘early bird’ entry fee of R420 if their entry is received before 30 September 2016. The regular South African entry fee of R460 will kick in on 1 October 2016 until the entry process closes.
Entry is free to all runners who have completed the Comrades Marathon 25 times or more.
Runners can enter as follows:
- online via the Comrades Marathon website: www.comrades.com;
- by posting their completed entry form with proof of payment to the CMA Office in Pietermaritzburg:
P.O. Box 100621, Scottsville, 3209;
- by handing in their completed entry form together with payment at Comrades House, 18 Connaught Road, Scottsville, Pietermaritzburg.
Qualifying for the 2017 Comrades Marathon will be applicable from 27 August 2016 till 1 May 2017. Runners are advised that the 2016 Comrades Marathon will not be an automatic qualifier for next year’s race.
CMA Race Director, Rowyn James says, ‘We have amazing plans in place to ensure a great race day come Sunday, 4 June 2017. We urge our runners to enter early and take advantage of our Early Bird Entry Fee, specifically for South African runners.’
CMA Chairperson, Macdonald Chitja says: ‘We are excited to unveil our 2017 Comrades Marathon campaign here today. Comrades Marathon runners are a unique band of individuals who will attest to the demanding nature of this ultimate human race. We welcome all of our runners, supporters and stakeholders to share in the indomitable Comrades spirit of camaraderie and goodwill on race day on Sunday, 4 June 2017.’
Statement issued by the Comrades Marathon Association’s Media Officer, Delaine Cools on Thursday, 18 August 2016
For more information, please contact Delaine on 083 949 2837
For an interview, please contact:
- CMA Chairman, Macdonald Chitja on 083 645 6422
- CMA General Manager, Chris Fisher on 071 883 6919
- CMA Race Director, Rowyn James on 079 501 0061