1. Paid up members, please collect your membership cards from Emile, it gives you 10% discount on drinks at the Pavillion bar, between the rugby and hockey fields.
2. It is getting dark out there – please start wearing reflective shirts, belts, lights, caps etc- be visible!
3. We run / walk every Tues / Wed / Thur at 17h30 – without fail ! Always safety in numbers, especially during the winter months where we often have to run in the dark – we often regroup, and cater for those who want to run a bit shorter, so don’t be scared to join us.
4. Please give us feedback about races you have done – when, where time, interesting stories etc – we gladly hear from you.
5. We invite members to send in nominations for Member of the Month, so keep your eyes and ears open and send your nominations, before month end!
6 Some other dates:
Every Friday : 05h15, Bike & Bean (beachfront) – Red Socks 5 and 8 km run / walk, followed by coffee, everybody welcome!
Wed 18 May : Pre-Comrades evening :
Speaker : Boysie van Staden (multiple Comrades Gold and Silver medalist)
RSVP needed, for catering purposes, by Monday 16 May
Food will be provided, with cash bar
Venue: pavillion bar at club (where we had year-end function)
All Comrades runners please try and be there, as well as supporters!
Sun 29 May : Comrades! All supporters welcome to join us at our spot near Kearsney College. Runners are welcome to give us special drinks, food, etc to hand over to you at the table (about 1 km before Kearsney college, as you come from Pmb, on the left hand side of the road)
Wed 1 June : Aches & Pains function, and monthly braai – all runners please try and be there
Wed 15 – Sun 19 June : No Reason No Running Camping, St Lucia – camp 1, 2, 3 or 4 nights, R100 pppn – names and queries to Emile (we are now taking names)
7. Club runs. Shorter options always available – there may be changes closer to the time :
1. There will always also be a 10 – 12 option as well.
2. Those who want to run a bit longer, can arrange to meet a bit earlier and do a few km before the club run
Saturday 14 May : club run – 05h30 – 12 and 20 km – start tapering….!
Saturday 21 May : club run – 05h30 – 12 and 20 km
Saturday 28 May : club run – 06h00- 15 km – no Comrades runners allowed! Later starting time for a few weeks…..
Saturday 4 June :club run – 06h00 – 15 km – post Comrades blues……we role over for a few weeks….
Saturday 11 June : club run – 06h00 – 15 km
Saturday 18 June : club run – 06h00 – 15 km
Saturday 25 June : club run – 06h00 – 15 km
8. 2016 race dates – also look at www.eventtiming.co.za – also take note most pre-entry races have strict closing dates for entries:
Sun 29 May : Big C!!
Sun 5 June : Ladies Spar 5 & 10 km : pre-entry only – ladies in club colours start in front with the elite runners – enter at :
Thurs 16 June : Ntenga Foundation Charity 5 & 10 km; Ushaka
Sat 18 June : Impendle 5 & 10 km
Sun 26 June : Archie Gumede 10 & 21 km – kwandengezi school
Sun 2 Juky : Embo college 10 km; Embo
Sun 10 July : Forest Hills 10 km; 07h00 – next leg of our 10 x 10 km challenge – pre-entry only
Sun 17 July : Totalsports ladies 5 & 10 km; Berea Rovers, pre-entry only http://www.totalsportswomensrace.com/
9. Mail received:
Dear Fellow Athletes
The 2nd edition of the BUMMER Beach Run & Walk will take place on Sunday 19 June 2016. The event is jointly organised by Durban Athletic Club and Riverside Trail. Full information and entries are available on www.bummerbeachrun.co.za In addition, entries are being taken at Durban Athletic Club on Thursday evenings between 17h15 and 19h30 until race day. Early bird entries are available until 22 May 2016.
Please support PinkDrive, the official event charity, who will also operating the important Comrades seconding table just before Tollgate Bridge. They support runners, and we will support them. See www.pinkdrive.co.za
We would appreciate you passing this on to your members and families interested in participating.
More details about the route:
1) we will start the 23km near Gianni’s Ristorante at 06h00; the 15km event from Beach Bums at 07h30; and the 6km event on the beach near Caffé Java in Umdloti at 08h30 on Sunday 19 June 2016. This will involve participants coming to register there from about 05h00, 06h30 and 07h30 at the various venues on the morning.
2) some participants will be dropped off by shuttle others may wish to park at the venues.
3) the Ballito start is at 06h00 so participants should be able to enjoy a stunning Indian Ocean sunrise at 06h51 on that day;
4) there will be a refreshment table on the beach near Beach Bums (for the Ballito) starters, and on the beach near Caffé Java for the 23km and 15km starters.
5) all finishers will receive an event branded peak cap, led keyring, and a free cappuccino voucher from Caffé Java. There are also lucky prizes. The first male and female in each distance will receive a hamper.
6) the event has been timed so that all participants run into low tide which is at 09h10 on the day.