Fees for Junior hockey
|The following fees are for the 2020 season:|
|Riverside Reach Hockey (Sponsored by Varsity College)||12 – 13 years (grade 6 & 7)||R1800|
|Mini Hockey||7 – 11 years (grade 1 – 5)||R1350|
|Hockey Tots||3 – 6 years (000 – Gr R)||R750|
These fees are payable for the entire season and include:
- Turf hire
- Coaching equipment and aids
- Coaching structures as set up by international coaches, with top coaching from some of the best young coaches locally and internationally.
- Match and / or festival fees
- Shirt to wear to training and Mini festivals/tournaments (club socks to be purchased)
- Riverside Sports membership (Junior until 13 years old), with parking access on Fridays for Mini and Mondays for Youth
NOTE: No rebates are considered for members who join midway through the season.
- Payments are to be made within 7 days from date of registration.
- Should a member require payment terms or wish to pay by means of a credit card – please contact email@example.com
- Riverside Sports family discounts apply and will be passed on to members on application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates for junior Hockey
Riverside REACH (Sponsored by Varsity College): U12 & U13 BOYS AND GIRLS
Monday 3rd February – OPEN EVENING (6:20pm – 7:40pm)
Parents are invited to meet at the Riverside Pavillion at 6:30pm for a FUN session for all boys and girls from 6:20pm until 7:40pm.
Indoor (Tuesday 5.30pm – 7.30pm)
- February 18th, and 25th
- March 3rd
Outdoor (Monday 6.20pm – 7.40pm)
- February 10th, 17th and 24th
- March 2nd, 9th & 16th
- April 6th, 20th
- May 4th, 11th, 18th, 25th
- June 1st and 8th
MINI PROGRAMME: 3 – 11 YR OLDS
Outdoor (Friday 5pm – 6.20pm and 6.20pm – 7.30pm
- April 3rd, 17th, 24th
- May 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th
- June 5th (Parents vs Kids)
- July 17th, 24th & 31st
- August 7th, 14th, 28th
- September 4th (Parents vs Kids)
SPUR Riverside Mini Hockey Festival – Tuesday 16th June 2020
5 x KZN Club Mini Hockey Tournaments on Sundays U7 – U11 (dates TBC)
Little Tots (Fridays): 5 – 6pm
Big Tots (Fridays): 5 – 6pm
U7 B&G (Fridays): 5 – 6.20pm
U9 B&G (Fridays): 5 – 6.20pm
U11 B&G (Fridays): 6.20 – 7.30pm
Riverside REACH (Mondays): 6.20 – 7.40pm
Note: Those turning 6 or 7 during the year will train and play as Under 7 in festivals and those turning 8 or 9 during the year will train and play as Under 9. Those turning 10 or 11 will train and play as Under 11. Riverside Reach is for those turning 12 and, 13.
Riverside Hockey Club
Acc. 1353 049 663 Branch Code. 135 329
Ref. Members Name*
Email proof of payment to email@example.com
Mini Hockey Tournament Dates 2020:
|Sunday – 17th May 2020||U9, U10, U11||Kearsney||Kearsney Boys College|
|Sunday – 31st May 2020||U7, U9, U10, U11||Umhlali Impis||Crawford North Coast|
|Tuesday – 16th June 2020||U7, U9, U10, U11, U13||Spur Riverside Festival||Riverside Sports|
|Sunday – 26th July 2020||U9, U10, U11||Glenwood||Queensmead or 3 Schools|
|Sunday – 16th August 202||U7, U9, U10, U11||Westville Gryphons||Westville Girls High Astro|
|Sunday – 6th September 2020||U7, U9, U10, U11||Crusaders||Northwood Boys Astro|
History of Junior Hockey at Riverside
The Mini Hockey section of Riverside Hockey Club (RHC) commenced in 1992 when the club was still known as Durban North Hockey Club (DNHC). From small beginnings, the section has grown considerably over the years and, during 2015, over 400 members between the ages of 2 and 16 registered for the Riverside Hockey junior programme.
2006 saw RHC’s junior section’s first full season on artificial turf, making it the only junior section in Durban at the time to have access to such a world-class facility. With the laying of the second turf in April 2011, the programme became and remains the only one in South Africa currently using two turfs which ensures extra space for members to learn their skills.
During 2008, RHC launched Youth Hockey to cater for U14′s and U16′s. This Youth section is referred to as the Riverside REACH programme (sponsored by Varsity College) that was initiated in 2013 by Riverside which caters for the 12 to 14 years old age group, with all 14 year olds and upwards being introduced and encouraged to join our senior section.
An exciting development during 2011 was the launch of the Hockey Tots programme, teaching basic beginner sports skills for 3 to 4 year olds as well an incorporating what has traditionally been our under 5′s and 6′s into the introductory levels of hockey.
What is Tots, Mini and Reach?
Both boys and girls are accommodated in all age groups.
Tots Hockey commences at 3 years old with what is primarily a generic ball skills programme. The Tots groups are split into either Little Tots (3 to 4 years old) or Big Tots (5 and 6 years).
Note: Those turning 3,4, 5 or 6 during the year will train as Tots and generally are not encouraged to play in festivals which only commence at Under 8 level.
Mini Hockey commences when you are Under 7 with an age appropriate hockey skills programme. the oldest age group being Under 11. Both boys and girls are accommodated.
Note: Those turning 6 or 7 during the year will train and play as Under 7 in festivals and those turning 8 or 9 during the year will train and play as Under 9. Those turning 10 or 11 will train and play as Under 11.
Riverside REACH Hockey (Sponsored by Varsity College) commences when you are in grade 6 & 7.
Note: Those turning 12 and 13 during the year will train and play as Under 13 Children in grade 8, 14 and older are able to play in Riverside Hockey Club’s senior teams in KZN Senior leagues once assessed by the Junior coaching staff.
Why join Riverside Hockey’s programme?
- Riverside Hockey believes in the potential of ALL young players and their ability to grow into meaningful club members at all levels of the game. We do not grade teams until senior hockey level.
- Attention to each individual’s technical, tactical, mental and physical skills.
- Professional, state-of-the-art facilities (water-based artificial turf training) – only club in South Africa with two artificial turfs for junior hockey.
- Play with other dedicated players from the region who are at different schools.
- Target of 1 appropriately qualified and experienced coach per 8 players, training in small groups and receiving individual attention.
- Benefit from Riverside’s ongoing association with top, internationally-respected clubs and associations, with session content influenced by the latest international trends of play and their approach to development of players.
- Talented, experienced and qualified coaches from the region who are closely monitored for attention to detail.
- Riverside Hockey Club is synonymous with top hockey in Durban, KZN and South Africa having developed and grown many provincial and international players, some of whom currently play in our men’s and women’s 1st teams and are involved in Riverside’s Junior programme as coaches.
- It is fun and challenging to participate in the Riverside Hockey programme!
- The Riverside Reach programme (sponsored by Varsity College) is unique to Riverside’s Junior offering, involving exposure to match techniques and tactics.
Riverside Hockey Club is excited to confirm the following senior coaching staff for the 2020 programme:
Head Coach: Riverside Reach Hockey – Justin Collins (current Riverside HC 1st team and has represented KZN as a player on numerous occasions and more recently as coach and management for KZN Schools as well as for SA hockey in high performance)
Head Coach: Mini Hockey – Caryn Springate formerly Bentley (former SA player capped 99 times), has coached and developed mini hockey programmes in South Africa, Spain and the UK, former coach of winning Irish Premier league team).
The primary focus of mini hockey is the technical development of each individual player to their maximum potential, within a fun, non-pressurised environment. Player development takes precedence over results in matches, festivals and tournaments and, whilst there is a strong focus on fun and playing with your friends, this is underpinned by an ongoing quest to improve coaches and coaching in line with international best practice, thereby ensuring that the necessary levels of intensity are achieved in training.
The focus of youth hockey is also on the technical individual development of players, although there is a strong additional theme of tactical awareness introduced into these sessions primarily through the Riverside Reach programme sponsored by Varsity College.
Riverside Hockey provides regular opportunities for all coaches who coach Junior Hockey to participate in training courses which obtain national coaching grade certificates. This requirement is in addition to ongoing practical sessions with the coaching supervisory staff within the club.
The working group of parents is responsible for making the strategic decisions to ensure that the Riverside HC Junior Section and the Riverside REACH programme is properly governed and that hockey within the junior ranks continues to thrive at Riverside.
This working group has representation on the main Riverside Hockey Club committee and strives to develop junior hockey within the guidelines of the club’s overall strategic vision.
The Working Group is always looking for assistance and anyone who is interested in assisting should please email firstname.lastname@example.org or let one of the members of the Working Group know.
In 2014, Spur became a major sponsor of the Riverside Hockey programme, including the annual Spur Riverside Mini Hockey Festival, which is hosted by Riverside Sports and is one of the country’s biggest mini hockey festivals, with almost 1000 participants.
There are other opportunities to sponsor different aspects of the programme and the club and if you are interested in further details, please email email@example.com
The structure of the season will be broken into Friday evening (Mini) and Monday evening (REACH) coaching sessions. Festivals, will include matches against other clubs. Dates and times of all training sessions and festivals will be advised.
Each session will consist of a structured programme and, in order to maximise the quality of the coaching, an optimum player-to-coach ratio will be maintained.