Fees for Junior hockey
|The following fees are for the 2019 season:|
|Youth Hockey||12 – 14 years||R1800|
|Mini Hockey||7 – 11 years||R1350|
|Hockey Tots||2 – 6 years||R700|
These fees are payable for the entire season and include:
- Turf hire
- Coaching equipment and aids
- Coaching structures as set up by international coaches, with top coaching from some of the best young coaches locally and internationally.
- Match and / or festival fees
- Shirt to wear to training and Mini festivals/tournaments (blue club socks to be purchased)
- Riverside Sports membership (Junior until 14 years old), with parking access on Fridays for Mini and Mondays for Youth
NOTE: No rebates are considered for members who join midway through the season.
- Payments are to be made within 7 days from date of registration.
- Should a member require payment terms or wish to pay by means of a credit card – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Riverside Sports family discounts apply and will be passed on to members on application to email@example.com
Dates for junior Hockey
Youth Dates (Mondays):
Feb: 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th
March: 4th, 11th
April: 1st, 8th, 15th & 29th
May: Riverside Reach (Sponsored by Varsity College)
June: Riverside Reach 5’s (Sponsored by Varsity College)
Mini Dates (Fridays):
OPEN WEEKEND, Mini Hockey Sunday 17 March 2019 from 2pm – 4pm for U9 – U11 Boys and Girls
April 5th, 12th & 26th (no Mini on the 19th April as it’s a public holiday)
May 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th & 31st
June 7th, 14th (16th June is our Spur Riverside mini festival)
July 19th, & 26th
August 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd & 30th (no Mini on the 9th as it is a public holiday)
Little Tots (Fridays): 5-6pm
Big Tots (Fridays): 5-6pm
U7 B&G (Fridays): 5-6.15pm
U9 B&G (Fridays): 5-6.16pm
U11 B&G (Fridays): 6.15-7.30pm
Youth (Mondays): 6.15-7.40pm
Note: Those turning 6 or 7 during the year will train and play as Under 7 in festivals and those turning 8 or 9 during the year will train and play as Under 9. Those turning 10 or 11 will train and play as Under 11. Youth is for those turning 12, 13, 14 and 15.
Riverside Hockey Club
Acc. 1353 049 663 Branch Code. 135 329
Ref. Members Name*
Email proof of payment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mini Hockey Tournament Dates 2019:
|Sunday – 5 May 2019||U9, U10, U11||Kearsney||Kearsney Boys College|
|Sunday – 26 May 2019||U7, U9, U10, U11||Umhlali Impis||Crawford North Coast|
|Sunday – 16 June 2019||U7, U9, U10, U11, U13||Spur Riverside Festival||Riverside Sports|
|Sunday – 21 July 2019||U9, U10, U11||Glenwood||Queensmead or 3 Schools – TBC|
|Sunday – 18 August 2019||U7, U9, U10, U11||Westville Gryphons||Westville Girls High Astro|
|Sunday – 01 September 2019||U7, U9, U10, U11||Crusaders||Northwood Boys Astro|
History of Junior Hockey at Riverside
The Mini Hockey section of Riverside Hockey Club (RHC) commenced in 1992 when the club was still known as Durban North Hockey Club (DNHC). From small beginnings, the section has grown considerably over the years and, during 2015, over 400 members between the ages of 2 and 16 registered for the Riverside Hockey junior programme.
2006 saw RHC’s junior section’s first full season on artificial turf, making it the only junior section in Durban at the time to have access to such a world-class facility. With the laying of the second turf in April 2011, the programme became and remains the only one in South Africa currently using two turfs which ensures extra space for members to learn their skills.
During 2008, RHC launched Youth Hockey to cater for U14′s and U16′s. This initiative has been gradually expanded to the current programme which caters for the 12 to 15 years old age group with members being major beneficiaries of the Riverside Reach programme (sponsored by Varsity College) which was initiated by Riverside in 2013.
An exciting development during 2011 was the launch of the Hockey Tots programme, teaching basic beginner sports skills for 2 to 4 year olds as well an incorporating what has traditionally been our under 5′s and 6′s into the introductory levels of hockey.
What is Tots, Mini and Youth?
Both boys and girls are accommodated in all age groups.
Tots Hockey commences at 2 years old with what is primarily a generic ball skills programme. The Tots groups are split into either Little Tots (2 to 4 years old) or Big Tots (5 and 6 years).
Note: Those turning 2,3,4, 5 or 6 during the year will train as Tots and generally are not encouraged to play in festivals which only commence at Under 8 level.
Mini Hockey commences when you are Under 7 with an age appropriate hockey skills programme. the oldest age group being Under 11. Both boys and girls are accommodated.
Note: Those turning 6 or 7 during the year will train and play as Under 7 in festivals and those turning 8 or 9 during the year will train and play as Under 9. Those turning 10 or 11 will train and play as Under 11.
Youth Hockey commences when you are Under 13 through to Under 15.
Note: Those turning 12 and 13 during the year will train and play as Under 13 and those turning 14 and 15 will train and play as Under 15. This Under 15 age group is eligible to play in Riverside Hockey Club’s senior teams in KZN Senior leagues once assessed by the Junior coaching staff.
Why join Riverside Hockey’s programme?
- Riverside Hockey believes in the potential of ALL young players and their ability to grow into meaningful club members at all levels of the game. We do not grade teams until senior hockey level.
- Attention to each individual’s technical, tactical, mental and physical skills.
- Professional, state-of-the-art facilities (water-based artificial turf training) – only club in South Africa with two artificial turfs for junior hockey.
- Play with other dedicated players from the region who are at different schools.
- Target of 1 appropriately qualified and experienced coach per 8 players, training in small groups and receiving individual attention.
- Benefit from Riverside’s ongoing association with top, internationally-respected clubs and associations, with session content influenced by the latest international trends of play and their approach to development of players.
- Talented, experienced and qualified coaches from the region who are closely monitored for attention to detail.
- Riverside Hockey Club is synonymous with top hockey in Durban, KZN and South Africa having developed and grown many provincial and international players, some of whom currently play in our men’s and women’s 1st teams and are involved in Riverside’s Junior programme as coaches.
- It is fun and challenging to participate in the Riverside Hockey programme!
- The Riverside Reach programme (sponsored by Varsity College) is unique to Riverside’s Junior offering, involving exposure to match techniques and tactics.
Riverside Hockey Club is excited to confirm the following senior coaching staff for the 2019 programme:
Head Coach: Youth Hockey – Calvin ‘Chicken’ Price (current Riverside HC 1st team and KZN Raiders player – indoor and outdoor, KZN under 16 coach)
Head Coach: Mini Hockey – Caryn Springate formerly Bentley (former SA player capped 99 times), has coached and developed mini hockey programmes in South Africa, Spain and the UK, former coach of winning league Irish Premier league team).
The primary focus of mini hockey is the technical development of each individual player to their maximum potential, within a fun, non-pressurised environment. Player development takes precedence over results in matches, festivals and tournaments and, whilst there is a strong focus on fun and playing with your friends, this is underpinned by an ongoing quest to improve coaches and coaching in line with international best practice, thereby ensuring that the necessary levels of intensity are achieved in training.
The focus of youth hockey is also on the technical individual development of players, although there is a strong additional theme of tactical awareness introduced into these sessions primarily through the Riverside Reach programme sponsored by Varsity College.
Riverside Hockey provides regular opportunities for all coaches who coach Junior Hockey to participate in training courses which obtain national coaching grade certificates. This requirement is in addition to ongoing practical sessions with the coaching supervisory staff within the club.
The working group of parents is responsible for making the strategic decisions to ensure that the Riverside HC Junior Section and the Hockey @ Riverside programme is properly governed and that hockey within the junior ranks continues to thrive at Riverside.
This working group has representation on the main Riverside Hockey Club committee and strives to develop junior hockey within the guidelines of the club’s overall strategic vision.
The Working Group is always looking for assistance and anyone who is interested in assisting should please email email@example.com or let one of the members of the Working Group know.
In 2014, Spur became a major sponsor of the Riverside Hockey programme, including the annual Spur Riverside Festival, which is hosted by Riverside and is one of the country’s biggest mini hockey festivals, with almost 1000 participants.
There are other opportunities to sponsor different aspects of the programme and the club and if you are interested in further details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The structure of the season will be broken into Friday evening (Mini) and Monday evening (Youth) coaching sessions. Festivals, will include matches against other clubs. Dates and times of all training sessions and festivals will be advised.
Each session will consist of a structured programme and, in order to maximise the quality of the coaching, an optimum player-to-coach ratio will be maintained.
Riverside Hockey Club Moms get their turn to experience some #PureHockeyEnjoyment – Join us on Thursday mornings during our hockey season from 7.30 – 8.30am for a fun session on the turf!
Who can join? All registered senior Riverside Hockey Club LADIES (and you can bring a friend) PLUS all moms of registered Mini Hockey players who are not senior members.
The Ladies’ Blitz sessions take place every Thursday on the following dates:
April: 11th, 18th, 25th
May: 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
June: 6th, 13th
July: 11th, 18th, 25th
August: 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, 29th